(and How It Taught Me to Get Over My Multi-level Marketing Bias!)
What is Young Living?
Young Living is a wellness and lifestyle movement that strives to replace all toxic chemicals and toxins in our everyday life with non toxic consumable products that enhance health in every way. Young Living products include not just essential oils that can be used in diffusers, food, drinks and topically, but also cleaning products, laundry products, vitamins and supplements, toothpaste, mouthwash, sun screen, body lotions, body soaps and makeup.
Why do we believe in it and why do we recommend it for everyone we love?
- The Essential Oils are amazing and now are part of our everyday lives from headache relief, insect deterrence, to itchy skin relief, to muscle pain relief to hydration, to immune system support and to flavor in my drinks and food. We believe they can likewise enhance every person’s life.
- The Thieves Cleaning products are out of this world effective and have completely changed and greatly improved my cleaning protocols.
- Their product lines are high quality consumable items that I have to buy and use in my life anyway such as toothpaste, mouthwash, cleaners, detergent, body soaps, vitamins, and many others.
- The products work and are superior to others I have tried in almost all categories.
- I don’t have to read every Young Living product to trust that they are non-toxic and produced with the company values I prefer to support such as sustainable farming, seed to seal stewardship of the plants, respecting our planet and animals, holistic wellness as a lifestyle, and giving to those in need.
- I can order everything online and have shipped to wherever I am. We have businesses in three states and I travel often.
- With our Young living Essential Oil tribe led by Jackie Rempfer of Raising Cubs, answers, help and solutions to any issue or question I have about the oils or products are immediately available. No foreign staffed help desk, online chats or forever hold calls to random support setups.
- I feel like the people important to me: family, friends and vacation guests are receiving from me the best home environment and wellness approach possible.
How Young Living works:
Young Living does not advertise its product line and business in the traditional manner like Walgreens or Walmart and you can not purchase it in stores. Young Living depends on a network of believers and users, who are also distributors, to introduce the products and share them with others and all purchasing goes through the website. It is a network marketing program. This is how it works:
- You must sign up as a member online, like you do with Costco or Sam’s Club. However, you do not have to pay a fee to sign up. You only pay when you purchase something.
- There are three ways to purchase the products:
- Pay wholesale price for products and order only when you want to purchase one or more items. No minimum and no commitment.
- Pay wholesale price and receive monthly rewards and promotions by signing up for the essential rewards program and purchasing a minimum of $50 of products each month.
- Earn a commission from purchases of other people with whom you share the products and inspire their membership, by purchasing yourself a minimum of $100 of products each month. And that is all. No inventory, no harassment, no other requirements.
How Young living taught me to get over my personal MLM bias and to get over myself!
At first I was resistant to the membership. I did not like the thought of having to sign up for the ability to try the essential oils. But once my friend pointed out that it was no different than signing up with Costco, I got over that particular hesitation. Once I started using the oils and cleaning products and experienced first hand their effectiveness, I tried more and more things and now I have replaced many of the items that I used to buy at the big box stores, such as laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, toothpaste, air freshener, body soap, vitamins and so more, and I became a true believer of the benefits of Young Living’s wellness movement: a movement dedicated to removing toxic chemicals from our everyday lives.
When I first signed up, never in a million years did I anticipate being a part of a multilevel marketing program. But once I became such a believer and avid user of the products and started my obsessive sharing, it only made sense to become a part of their marketing program because I was doing it anyway by talking and sharing. Somewhere along my own life’s journey, I adopted a snobbish attitude toward anything that smacked of personal marketing or selling. Maybe it was because of the pushiness of certain marketers I had encountered, or the stigma of the home parties of yesteryear or the bad press of the pyramid selling schemes.
But after really thinking about it, I realized that memberships, coaching and real life experience is such a better way of promoting and selling products than traditional random advertising campaigns. I prefer to learn about and from the experience of someone I know, like and trust than the “buy it, try it and see approach” from catchy advertising and impressive labeling. Businesses have to promote their products somehow in order to make a profit and why not with personal representatives who use the products themselves, can teach others and earn money by doing so if they so choose? Win, Win.
And look at me, still experiencing personal growth as I approach 60! And still learning new things that completely change my life for the better. Thank you, Young Living and Jackie Rempfer. You have definitely made me a better person and a healthier one too!